Friday, February 17, 2006

St. Valentine's Day Massacre

Whoever this person is, they're killing me. Not like the famous Al Capone hit on Bugs Moran's crew in 1929, but killing me none the less.

As I've mentioned previously, I have been receiving anonymous Valentine's Day cards every year for about five years now. The envelope is typed and has been post marked with Cincinnati, Chicago, and I believe even Cleveland and Dayton. There is never a return address and the card itself is always one that you would have passed out in elementary school. This year's was spider man. I hate spider man. Finally, the note is always the same, written in calligraphy:
To: Brandon Caputo
From: Someone who thinks you're terrific

I honestly thought they'd forgotten this year, or given up, since February 14th came and went without any mail. But then on the 15th, it came.

The thing of it is, this could only come from one of two places. First, family. Back in the day my mother used to pull this prank on my Uncle Eric (her brother.) She would send him annonymous fart cards every year on his birthday. My uncle was always the jokster in the family, so as this went on he became inceasingly frustrated over the years. The funny thing is, the whole family knew except him. How us kids kept a secret, I still don't know. He never found out until a couple of years after she passed away. Hilarious. So I ask you, could someone be reenacting my mother's goof? Obviously they would always have access to my address via my father, but who? My sister and Kelly are the obvious choice with the Cincinnati/Chicago post marks, but when I told my sister about this she laughed hysterically, so I think I've ruled her out.

Which leaves just one possible scenario: the fraternity. Only people that are in contact with my father or are members of Pi Kappa Phi at Miami University could have access to my mailing address year after year. You see, I've moved a ton. Although I've been on Eddy Street for almost two years, I have moved no less than 18 different times since I was 18. On average, that's over twice per year. But, I usually keep my profile on the fraternity's website current. Only members with log-in capabilites have access to contact information (beyond email.) Could it be a prank from one of the guys?

The only other possibility is that it's for real. Maybe someone actually has a crush on me and has not told me yet. This person would obviously have to know me from Miami and have remained friends with the people who know me best. Who could it be?

I have no clue...but it is my solemn vow to find them out by 2007!