Thursday, December 15, 2005

Random thought

It recently occurred to me that the bums in this town are just like the program guys at a sporting event. If you go to enough games at the same stadium, you'll notice that the same program guy is in the same spot for every game, just like the bums in downtown Chicago. My favorite guy when I worked at the United Center was always located just inside gate 3 for Bulls games. My favorite bum? Madison Street sitting underneath the scaffolding on the south side in between La Salle and Clark Streets.

You see, not only are they always in the same place every damn day, but just like program guys they have their own signature catch phrases. My UC guy always yelled, "PROgrams...MEdia guides...YEAR books!" He always said it with the same cadence and the emphasis on the same syllables. He even did this little thing where he scooped the word "books" upwards as he tailed off. I ran into that guy Halloween weekend at Bernie's in Wrigleyville and had a few beers with him. That's honestly the last thing I remember from that night, but I digress.

Well the bum on Madison always says, "spare some change spare some change spare some change spare some change spare some change." He talks in a very quick tempo and seemingly never takes a breath. Unbelievable. I never give him any money, but he amuses me. Just like the program guy.

I don't think I'll ever get drunk with that bum though. If I do, please impale me with a very dull object.

6 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, December 16, 2005, Blogger DixieBelle8681 said...

I think you should post the story about the stranded kid...many comments are sure to follow after that one.

 
At 1:35 PM, December 16, 2005, Blogger Hutch said...

I can't wait till you become the bum I ignore....

 
At 9:28 PM, December 16, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SPORTS ARE BORING BRANDON!!! give me something interesting! this story, not bad... i shouldn't say sports are boring either because i do enjoy watching them, but knowing EVERYTHING about them, not so much...

 
At 8:38 AM, December 19, 2005, Blogger Cap said...

wow...hot heather, reading MY blog...I have been blessed. I hope I didn't bore you too much, sports are pretty much all I think about. That and the bartender's skateboard.

 
At 10:55 PM, December 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, it's a blessing to have me read?? i try to follow, i don't do a good job - a lot of it is babble to me... but at least i try!

 
At 12:43 PM, December 20, 2005, Blogger amberance said...

I, also, am interested in the bartender's "skateboard"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home