Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Finalists

The weekend, though rainy as all get out, turned out to be pretty okay. I went with Amy to meet her dad, grandma, and a bunch of her aunts, uncles, and cousins on Saturday and had a pretty good time. Her father was fairly intimidating at first, but once I caught onto his sense of humor I think I rolled with the punches quite nicely. After dinner we came back into the city and I went with Nash to McGee's for Lesniak's birthday. Big dog turned 30 this weekend, crazy. We're getting old...and I'm one of the youngest in the crew!

Saturday was a long day of moving Nash out and Hutch in. We started early as Nash and I had to rearrange our place to make room for Hutch's stuff on the way in. The painters finished doing my room at about 11:30 or so, which made it a little slower than I had planned. As we were moving everything back into my room I decided to rearrange the place fairly drastically. It had been the same way for two years, since the days when I lived with "the little mermaid." I'll post pictures soon, but I like it much better as it opened up a ton more floor space.

We finally finished the physical act of moving furniture around 7:00 pm and then everyone met back at our place to head over to D'Agostino's. That turned into quite a riot as Miazga came out for the first time in nearly half a decade. Good times. Luckily it didn't rain too hard, though it did come down throughout most of the day/night.

My match for Arsenal on Sunday was cancelled earlier in the week because Vernon Hills had yet to fix our home field, so I picked up a full day of officiating instead. Unfortunately, I wouldn't get to make all the money I was expecting because the rain came hard.

I first had to referee a match in the Master's Soccer League between Romania and some German club up in Winnetka. This was the first time since college that I actually worked with an improper uniform on. I didn't have a long sleeve black rain jacket like the other two officials, so I left my sweatshirt on and pulled a short sleeve black jersey over top. Had we been assessed I likely would have taken some flack for it, but NOBODY was going to be out watching that match at 10 in the morning when it was 48 degrees and driving rain.

I next headed over to Glenview to referee a second match, but upon my arrival saw that the field was in extremely poor shape. We deemed it unfit to play and I turned around and drove home. My match for The Globe Pub was also cancelled, so I came back and Hutch and continued piecing the apartment together. Nash came over to put more of his stuff together (still not all out) and we watched the Soprano's. Apparently I missed last week because I was lost during the recap segment in the beginning. I'll have to "On Demand" that sucker tonight.

Finally, I would like to announce the finalists in the re-name my blog contest. They are, in no particular order:

Karen - Oops, I CAPped my pants.
Dave - Full of CAP
David - Bust a CAP in your ass
Amber - CAPital Punishment

Winner to be announce before I leave for Florida (May 12th.) Good luck to the finalists and let the lobbying begin!

5 Comments:

At 10:05 AM, May 02, 2006, Blogger mark said...

Well, with Hutch as your roommate now, you probably have about six long-sleeve black jackets to choose from (all from Banana Republic, of course). And if for whatever reason your officiating uniform requires a rainbow scarf, you're totally set.

My vote is for Dave's suggestive blog name.

 
At 10:56 AM, May 02, 2006, Blogger DixieBelle8681 said...

So I guess since Hutch lives with you now that might throw a wrench into our (mine and Hutch's) Valentines Day plans for next year? HAHAHAHA...if Hutch remembers the comment I'm referring to that is...

 
At 3:42 PM, May 02, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is it too late to suggest CAPe Diem?

Nevermind, I still like think Hutch's little bitch is the most appropriate with Hutch's new blog title being Tappin' Cap.

But if I'm forced to pick from the finalists, Karen's is my favorite...for obvious reasons.

 
At 1:30 PM, May 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obvious because it's totally the best one, or obvious because you have to say that?

 
At 12:15 PM, May 04, 2006, Blogger Captain Word Sleuth said...

I do believe I started the craze and we all no sequels tend to such, with the exception of Spiceworld 2.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home