Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Painting a clearer picture for Fitz

I guess we really start hanging out in mid to late August, but nothing serious happened right away. The hardest part was the uncertainty of it all. The hiding. The secretness. The fact that I was coming out of a relationship and she had just moved here from New York. It's also tough to really get to know each other when you can't go out in public for fear that you'd run into a million people that would rush to judgement and frankly, just shouldn't know.

As I mentioned last time, I really liked her, but to be fair, wasn't giving myself fully because I knew her uneasiness due to our different varying interests. Two weeks ago I invited her to go out with me on Lizak's boat on a late Sunday afternoon. It was just the two of us and I called her figuring it was about time she met someone other than Hutch. She had been sick for several days leading up to this and was finally feeling better, so I figured it'd be fun. Unfortunately, she was with her roommate driving around downtown running errands and couldn't get her to come.
I told her it was no big deal and that there would be other times, but I could hear it in her voice that she was genuinely disappointed. At this point, I had already made plans to grab dinner with an old friend, whose mother was in town for the weekend. Realistically, I'd have blown it off if she had joined Lizak and I on the boat. But since she didn't, I figured I'd just catch up with her later. As it turned out, things ran a little long and then she started to send a few nasty text messages my way, upset that I hadn't called yet. We ended up not seeing each other that night, but we talked the next day and cleared some of the air.

The next day we went after work to kick the ball around (she's coming off of a serious ankle injury and is starting to rehab.) Then she went to my co-ed game. You may remember this game from the "I got red-carded because I jacked some dude" post. Needless to say, she wasn't very impressed with me and it seems she's been slowly backing away ever since.

Of course, the kicker is, that's not the only reason. Since I met her I've heard about her "best friend," a guy she's known pretty much her entire life. I've seen the pictures of the two of them all over her facebook and myspace pages, but she always made the comments that nothing romantic has ever happened. She dropped the bomb on me Monday night, a few hours after my post, that she can't open her heart to me because she thinks she has feelings for him. Great. The dude is in Ireland and may not ever be coming back (permanently,) but she just can't go out with me feeling the way she does.

It would have just been nice to know what I was up against I guess. Women complain that guys aren't open and honest about their thoughts and emotions, but they are just as bad. I'm sure I could have let her know earlier what I was feeling, but I was a little hesitant because it seemed like she was too.

I don't know what else to say, is that a good enough explanation Fitz? Duggan? Shaffer?

4 Comments:

At 9:35 PM, October 11, 2006, Blogger DixieBelle8681 said...

Good explanation for those who didn't know the full story, but with that being said...you know my thoughts on the matrer already and I think that some of it made you really think about you and how you are in relationships....

 
At 4:16 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger mark said...

Well, a small consolation, but we Irish are really tough to get over... Or so I've heard.

Either way, you don't need her anyway. Right? Right. Go give Hutch a dead-leg or something. That'll make you feel better.

Oh, and thanks for indulging my curiosity. We married folk don't have nearly enough drama in our lives, and must live vicariously. Some day, you'll understand.

 
At 6:00 PM, October 16, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cap, you're right--chicks can be way harsh. This is what scares me about having girls. At least she came clean before you were totally head over heels.

 
At 8:48 AM, October 18, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the explanation. As Dana said, it is at least good she came clean up front.

You sure she doesn't like girls? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home