Monday, October 02, 2006

As if there was any doubt?

Okay....so I was a bit nervous for the Iowa game.

Everyone was hyping this Drew Tate kid and I almost bought into it a little bit. I think what made me the most nervous was the atmosphere at Kinnick Stadium in Iowa City. You knew the crowd was going to be jacked. The Penn State crowd was the same way in Happy Valley last year when the Buckeyes rolled into town in week five and they had the "white out" game. Truly unbelievable sight and a great, great crowd that carried Penn State on to the upset.

The same could not be said for the Hawkeyes. They called it the Gold Bowl....but this time our opponent was just outclassed. Or maybe just out-ran.

It was obvious from the opening possession that Iowa didn't have the speed to match up athletically with players like Troy Smith, Ted Ginn, Anthony Gonzalez, Antonio Pittman.

(since I don't know how to put the youtube thing in my blog, I'll have to settle for this URL for now...can anyone help with that?)

Seldom used Senior Roy Hall caught two passes including a touchdown. Sophomore Brian Robiskie caught a touchdown for the second straight game. Even Brian Hartline got in the mix delivering the crushing block that sprung Gonzalez on his circus-like 30-yard touchdown when he probably ran a good 50-70 yards on the play. (About 3:40 in the highlight video if you want to fast-forward the youtube.com link.)

As for me, I had a good day. I was a bit hungover after a last minute (bad) decision to venture out on Friday night. But my friend Natibugs forced some John Daniels down my throat at about 6:00 and we were on our way to Barleycorn on Clybourn - the bar formerly known as Jack Sullivan's. I must be honest, I enjoyed the scene there a little more than the old set-up. There was a $20 all you can eat and drink spread. Fantastic. It ran all the way through the end of the game. I definitely took advantage.

Of the drinks, that is. Not the women. Nati bolted just before halftime. In her defense, she'd been consuming the adult beverages since 11 AM in preperation for her kickball game that never happened due to a sudden thunderstorm that lasted all of a half hour. After she took off, I as bouncing back and forth between my buddy The Chilean and his crew upstairs, and Hutch and Donna downstairs. Donna brought her roommates, all lacrosse players from Northwestern. Yes, those girls.

I happen to think one of them is very cute, though I don't often date athletes. I don't think anything would ever happen there, but I will (of course) continue to hit on her for shits and giggles when we are all out in the future.

Sunday I had the pleasure of taking my first boat trip on Lake Michigan. How is it that I've been here over four years and I haven't been on a boat on the lake? Well, I guess that's not entirely true. I've been on some of the boats at Navy Pier including the Odyssey, the Seadog and the Windy II. But this was my first time on a regular boat. Lizak and I cruised around for an hour or so and battled some rocky waves before heading in to watch the Bears game. Next summer should be a good one with Lizak's new toy.

1 Comments:

At 12:27 PM, October 02, 2006, Blogger DixieBelle8681 said...

John Daniels was forced down your throat? I don't believe that for one minute....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home