Monday, October 15, 2007

Monday Morning Winger

Hello from the land of "I can't believe that just happened?" What a weekend!

We'll start right where we left off on Friday night. I'm going to give the live-blogging thing a rest because C.C. has pitched like crap in my only two attempts. Maybe its me. Either way, the Tribe tied it up even though Fausto Carmona was equally terrible in game 2. The bullpen (minus Perez) came up HUGE and the bats came to life getting six runs through 9 innings and then SEVEN in the 11th.

That, however, was just the highlight to end the Saturday highlights. This is because LSU and Cal both went down and as a result, The Ohio State University has started the BCS poll ranked #1 in the land for a second consecutive year. Do I think we are the clear cut best team in the country right now? No. I'd be kidding myself if I did. However, this team is good and I'm proud of the way we've gotten out from under the shadow of Smith, Ginn, Gonzalez and Pittman. This offense is legit and the defense is arguably the best in the nation. I'm excited for five interesting weeks of Big Ten football to end the season.

Certainly not the most important part of my weekend, but perhaps the most surprising, my make shift fantasy football team actually won! We defeated the guy that was in first place and 5-0 entering our match-up. Here were the totals:

QB Brian Griese 27
RB Adrian Peterson 67
WR Randy Moss 11
WR Torry Holt 3
TE Dez Clark 4
R/W Earnest Graham 3
PK Matt Stover 16
DST Seattle 5
TOTAL 136

OPP 107

Not a bad sports weekend if you ask me. Even the Cleveland Browns fought back to .500 with a win over the now 0-6 Miami Dolphins. Could the Dawgs finish with a .500 record? With St. Louis, Arizona, the NY Jets, Buffalo and San Francisco still on the schedule, I would say 7 wins is very reasonable and 8-9 is attainable if things continue to go right. To think, if we hadn't blown that game against Oakland...and if things go as well as possible the rest of the way, we'd be talking playoffs this year. Okay, okay...I won't get ahead of myself JUST yet.

The big downer for me was that I was unable to start (or play at all) at my usual outside midfield (winger) position for Sting SC on Sunday in our second playoff game, this one against the Rhinos from the Major Division in the NSSL. We still have a slim shot at moving on to the quarterfinals with a win in our final match of group play, but we missed a tremendous opportunity to punch our ticket on Sunday when we lost 3-0. I stood in the pouring rain on the sideline with my street clothes on and was unable to help the boys out. Very frustrating. I'll miss the final game completely, messed up ankle or not, because of the Fire vs. Galaxy game on Sunday at TOYOTA PARK. Only if the team is able to pull it out and get some help from the rest of the league will I be able to play again this season.

1 Comments:

At 11:40 AM, October 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boston's gonna take it tonight. Look at your poll, everyone knows the Sawx will win :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home