Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Stop with the comparing....for now

Okay, so Bron-Bron could someday be a Hall of Famer. He could be one of the best basketball players of all time. He MIGHT even surpass Michael Jordan as the best player ever. But for now, can we just stop?

I understand that "King James" is only 22, and that his supporting cast is atrocious, and that he's, simply put, physically superior to Jordan. But let me ask you this: Would Michael Jordan have lost that game last night? I say emphatically, "No." Down 2-0 to San Antonio with a raucous crowd cheering it's heart out, in a city that is flat out desperate for a winning team of any kind...MJ would have found a way. He would have done just enough, instead of not quite enough. He would have imposed his will. They might have still lost the series. They may have even gone down in five games. But not last night.

As much as I have renounced the Cavaliers over the years since taking my first full time job in sports with the Chicago Bulls back in 2002, I was honestly rooting for them. It's still my hometown and I have so many family and friends that were excited to see a Cleveland team on the verge of a potential title that I couldn't help it. I even like LeBron. But then again, how could you not? He has a presence about him. Charisma.

I just want the comparisons to get put on hold, and I think they will be, at least until next spring when the Cavs are back in the playoffs. He's a great player, a tremendous athlete and a fierce competitor. Nobody is questioning that. But what MJ had is something that we may never see again.


2 Comments:

At 11:00 AM, June 14, 2007, Blogger mark said...

MJ would have shot fireballs out of his eyes to win the game. LeBron is a nobody.

 
At 3:39 PM, June 18, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like LeBron, but I agree, he's no, and will never be, MJ. I was rooting for the Cavs, too--Cubbies fan in me always loves the underdog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home