Monday, March 24, 2008

Things overheard at The United Center

On Easter Sunday I spent the afternoon with Mrs. Sizemore over at The United Center for her first ever NHL game. It had been awhile for me as well, considering how bad my St. Louis Blues have been over the last couple seasons and the fact that they're only in town a couple times each year. But, I feared this could be my last chance to see Keith Tkachuk in a Blues uniform. And not only that, time was running out to take Mrs. Sizemore to a game and convince her to become a Blues fan before she bailed and started rooting for the Maple Leafs or some damn shit.

The Blues scored first and then took a 3-2 lead with 1:18 left to play on a Tkachuk break away goal. Conditions seemed perfect. We were winning, we had great seats thanks to my buddy Shipper in the UC Box Office, my favorite active player scored the potential winner.... and then the Blackhawks scored to tie it just seconds later and got the winner a little over a minute into overtime. All things being equal, this was a fun hockey game to see in person and I'm honestly just glad the Blues didn't completely embarass themselves for the little lady's first game.

After the game, I heard what could be the quote of the year to date. Our dear friend Gene is the public address announcer for the Blackhawks as well as the Chicago White Sox, DePaul basketball, The Final Four, The Big Ten Tournament, the Chicago Marathon and many other events. We sent him a text during the game and had him meet us up for a couple beers in the Brew Pub on the concourse level after the game. As he walked in, I said to Mrs. Sizemore how Gene could walk through the UC and barely anyone would even know who he was. After the three of us sat and chatted for awhile, we were approached by two of the most creepy, obsessed Gene Honda fans I have ever seen. These two dudes had a big man-crush on Gene and wouldn't stop gushing over him. I asked Gene later if he knew them, and his response was (in a very Gene-like way) "Hell no." So, amidst them drooling over him, one of them actually said this directly to Gene:

"Your voice is synonymous with a good time."

Wow. Just wow. Gene has crazy fans.

5 Comments:

At 1:48 PM, March 24, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some people go to church on Easter, Cap goes to the United Center. Same thing. That was definitely the only sporting event at which I've ever felt okay wearing blue and yellow together.

Also: http://www.nit.org/sports/m-nit/sched/nit-m-nit-sched.html tOSU just might be playing my alma mater. Not that the NIT counts for much.

 
At 3:36 PM, March 26, 2008, Blogger amberance said...

I experienced the crazy Gene Honda fan thingy once at the Daily Bar and Grill. I got free beer and chips and salsa out of it. Win-win.

Mrs. Sizemore: NIT means Not In Tournament :-)

 
At 3:41 PM, March 26, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Touché.

Dare I ask how you got free stuff just for knowing Gene?

 
At 11:48 AM, March 28, 2008, Blogger amberance said...

I got free beer and food for knowing Gene because the crazy Gene Honda fan worked at the Daily Bar and Grill. After informing us that he has season tickets to the Blackhawks and DePaul basketball and gushing over Gene's obvious awesomeness, he then told us (Gene, me and Teacher Charlie) our beer was on him, as were the chips and salsa they produced from the supposedly closed kitchen.

In other news, no one tells me anything. Such as that you have a very well done blog that I should be reading. The hell?

 
At 2:41 PM, May 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah... I still hate blanco.. and it's kind of painful that he's a great player. Don't get me wrong, I'm so excited that the Fire is in 1st right now.... its just that the hunchback makes me vomit in my mouth a little.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home