Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The Sixth Cents XVI: Ice Ice Baby Edition

Alright stop collaborate and listen
Ice is back with my brand new invention

Okay, so it isn't brand new, but it will be rebranded. Mrs. Sizemore is working on the logo and I've changed the name from "Six Cents" to "The Sixth Cents." A little play on words with the "my two cents" concept mixed with me having a "sixth sense" about sports. The second part is obviously ridiculous, just like anyone who tells you that they knew the whole time that Bruce Willis was already dead. So, stay tuned for all that in the coming weeks. This won't be a weekly feature like the Top 5 Fridays are, but it will show up from time to time. Without further (Freddy) Adu.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Rock'em Chalk'em Jayhawks
I’d like to extend a heartfelt “screw you” to the Kansas Jayhawks for NOT choking in the NCAA tournament this year like they always do. My bracket was already ruined when Georgetown got knocked out early and Memphis didn't get knocked out fast enough, but KU finished me off. Mrs. Miami’s father invited me into the family pool this year and thanks to the Jayhawks win last night I finished butt naked last. That, I believe, is a first for me. I should probably be forced to stop blogging about sports as a result, but truth be told I've never been that into basketball at any level. While it is certainly disappointing, my 2004 bracket victory in the Chicago Bulls Front Office pool has handily covered me in every other bracket that hasn't won money.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2. Get Your Kicks On Route 66

I would like to take this time to extend congratulations to The Ohio State University. The Buckeye hoopsters won the NIT Championship last week, otherwise known as "The Battle for #66." tOSU played perhaps their best ball of the season the during the tournament. Granted, they were playing against teams that weren’t good enough to go dancing, so it wasn't the stiffest competition. However, they won a title, so I'm not complaining.

Here’s some food for thought:

Would you rather get into the NCAA tourney as a 12 seed and lose in the first round, or go the NIT and win a championship?

If you ask me, with a young team like Ohio State has, I’d rather win the NIT and teach the kids how to win. that's exactly what they did. Congrats again boys.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Joe Borowski: Best Worst Closer? or Worst Best Closer?
We’re one week in and I’ve had enough of JoeBo. In his three appearances he has already blown a save, surrendered two homers including a walk-off grand slam by Torii Hunter last night, walked four and has an ERA of 19.29. Last year he became the first closer in history with over 40 saves and a 5+ ERA (45 saves, 5.07 ERA.) Bottom line, he saves a lot of games, but he aways gives up runs in the process. Either way, I don't trust him.

I honestly believe that the closer was one of the missing pieces to last year’s club along with Hafner and Sizemore having slightly down years at the plate. With a top flight closer, we’d have had home field advantage throughout and that MIGHT have been enough to eek past the BoSox.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. “Everybody just be cooooooooooool”
At one of my favorite Dave Matthews Band shows, Dave had to tell everyone to “be cooooooool” as the crowd poured out of the stands at RFK Stadium and began to crush “the pretty little ladies up in the front.” Well, now I’m saying the same to all the crazy baseball fans out there. I mean, it's been one week people. Now, should I apply this to my thoughts on Borowski? No. JoeBo was a scary closer last year and I think it could come back to haunt us when it counts, much like Memphis at the free throw line.

However, here are few little nuggets for you:

The Cubs aren’t that bad. Fans were jumping off a ledge after the first two games.
The Cubs aren’t that good. Certain people have the Cubs winning the World Series this year. Sorry, I just don’t see this lineup and that pitching staff being deep enough to take down the AL representative, even if they do become the AAAA (NL) representative. Plus, it's been 100 years. Come on.
The Tigers aren’t that bad. This team will score runs and win games, don’t worry.
The Tigers aren’t that good. This team was overrated to begin with thanks to the "experts" at ESPN. The bullpen is downright awful and the rotation isn’t deep enough. Was I the only one that wasn’t scared when they signed Dontrelle Willis?

Also:
The Indians are not a .500 team.
Neither are the Red Sox.
The Cardinals aren't that good.
The Rockies aren't that bad.

And the Orioles may currently have the best record in baseball, but I assure you that they have a better chance of finishing with the worst record.

Reminder: It's only been a week. Ya'll can start worrying some time in May. Okay?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5. The Real Opening Day
On Saturday, I got a phone call from Nash at 11:15 AM asking what I thought of a playing bags that afternoon. Mrs. Sizemore and I had a ton of other plans, but the weather was too nice to not play, so I relented. I was thinking 4-5 guys would show up. I was wrong. An entire day/night of debauchery ensued where we consumed copious amount of beer and over two handles of vodka. I'm glad all the guys that weren't in Cabo for 900's wedding were able to swing by, it was a much needed day of relaxation. Not only that, but the little Red Bull mini came by and dropped off a ton of product for us. We took that as a cue that it was time for Jaegerbombs!








----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
6. Beirut is too a Sport
The original plan for Saturday was to start building some custom Beirut/Flip Cup tables for the big Cap of July festival this summer. For those that haven’t booked your trip to Chicago yet, the party is going to be on Saturday, July 5th. Be there. Or don't. But if you don't, then I assure you that we will have a better time that day than you will.

Here are the designs we've come up with for the two tables:

One will be green and painted exactly like a scaled down version of the field in Browns' Stadium.
















The other will be a Buckeye board. The circles where the cups are placed will be the same as the circle on the state flag of Ohio.

4 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, April 08, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jagerbombs! Jagerbombs!

I like the nuggets.

Also, nothing the Tribe could have done would have gotten them past the Sawx. It just wasn't meant to be. At least I never really took that bet seriously last year...of course, you'd probably set the Big Papi shirt on fire, anyhow.

 
At 8:15 AM, April 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If Memphis hadn't self destructed I would have won my office bracket pick-em. Instead I end up out of the money. Stupid Memphis.

 
At 11:07 AM, April 09, 2008, Blogger amberance said...

1. Interestingly, I won MY pool because I had Kansas winning the final so yay for me and the Jayhawks, I knew they could do it.

2. O-H!

3. Amen, Brutha. Amen.

4. Very well said, to all sayings.

 
At 2:10 PM, April 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, we haven't started painting that second board yet...if you decide that maybe you're not crazy about the design, I found a few other design examples to consider.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home