Friday, April 18, 2008

Top Five Fridays: Sports Logos

This is my regular feature called Top Five Fridays. Here I'll list some of my favorite things like, Top 5 Ways to Annoy a Michigan Fan or Top 5 Most Overrated Athletes (cough cough, Brett Favre, cough cough)..... Have no fear, we'll get to both those topics in good time. At the end there will also be a section for those that just missed the cut.

This week I’m going to change things up a little bit. No long stories, no my favorites lists... I'd like to encourage everyone to chime in with their opinions in the comments. Frankly, you can always do that with these Top 5's, but this one might make it a little easier. I’ll be perfectly honest, writing a list like this pains me a little bit as there isn’t a single team from my childhood on it, but I’m trying to be a realist here. So with out further Freddy Adu, here it is!

Top 5 Most Recognizable Logos in American Sports

If someone were to create a survey with the logos of every sports team in America (and just the logo, no city or team name in them) and take this survey out to the streets, I believe that more people would recognize the teams on this list than any others.

1. Chicago Bulls
You can thank Michael Jordan. In fact, if we were to send this survey out to the streets across the entire globe, the Bulls would likely be number one by a landslide. What MJ did for the global market economy was unprecedented. Tiger Woods is recreating it and LeBron James could get to that level with a couple titles (or six,) but is was "His Airness" that brought sports marketing, and specifically athlete endorsements, to the level they are. Woods and James are merely riding the coattails of what Jordan created. An image. And with that image, he turned the Chicago Bulls into a global brand. That brand is as recognizable as McDonald’s, Nike, and Gatorade. In fact, one could argue that the popularity of THOSE brands was in large part because of Michael. Despite the gambling scandal, the multiple retirements, the indiscretion in his marriage, and the image tarnishing return with the Wizards, he is still the most popular athlete on earth.

2. New York Yankees
Quite possibly the most polarizing sports entity in American culture, the interlocking NY was created by Tiffany & Co. in 1877. The franchise began using it as their insignia in 1909 when they were still known as the New York Highlanders. In 1911 the old Polo Grounds burned down and after moving into the new Polo Grounds located near the Harlem River, the name "Highlanders" no longer made sense. The New York media had already been casually referring to the team as the Yankees in recent years, so in 1913 it became official.

3. Dallas Cowboys
The Cowboys were one of the last teams to join the NFL before the merger in 1970. They began play in 1960 and their first coach, Tom Landry, quickly built a competitive team. He ended up being their only coach until he was fired in 1989. The Cowboys hare the most valuable franchise in sports according to a 2007 article on Forbes Magazine's website as they are by far the most successful NFL team of the modern era and have been nicknamed "America's Team." The Cowboys are tied with the Steelers and 49ers for the most Super Bowl victories with five and hold NFL records for most winning seasons, most postseason appearances, most postseason games, most 10-win seasons and most Super Bowl appearances...among other things.

4. Michigan Wolverines
The block “M” might not have made it on it's own, but if you put a picture of the winged football helmet on there, I think you’d have something. Most Michigan fans would have you believe they were the first to create this logo, but it was actually a man named Fritz Crisler who first put it on the Princeton helmets to help quarterbacks more easily identify their wide receivers down field. Crisler was then hired as the head coach at Michigan and he brought the winged helmet with him in 1938.

5. Detroit Red Wings
I’m not sure the Communist Tire With Wings should make the list, but I’m squeezing them in at number five just because I can, it's my list. They might not even make the top 20 in some people's opinions because the NHL has really taken a back seat in this country to "The Big Three." However, I feel we have enough Northern European and former Soviet block immigrants in this country to put them on the board.


"Juuuuust a bit outside. He tried the corner and missed."

Chicago Cubs – The Lovable Losers have WGN’s reach as the catalyst for the nation’s obsession with the Cubbies. 100 years of futility and yet they have more bandwagon fans than any team in the country.
Boston Red Sox – Still 20-something odd titles behind the Yankees, their nationwide bandwagon fans in the past five years have made them almost as polarizing a force in American sports as their hated rival. A few more years of this and they could be in the Top 5, and Mrs. Sizemore could end up buried in a ditch. I kid, I kid. Also, she is not one of those bandwagon fans, but even she would have to admit that there are a ton of them out there.
Los Angeles Lakers – One of the two greatest dynasty’s in NBA history, they seem to always have one of those “it guys” to keep them socially relevant even when they are having a down year.
Boston Celtics – The single greatest dynasty in NBA history with a record 16 titles, they were starting to slip into obscurity until this season when "The Boston Three Party" resurrected them.
Notre Dame Fighting Irish – Twenty years ago they might have been at the top, but they haven’t won a national title since 1988, a bowl game since 1994 and haven't had a Heisman trophy winner since 1987. However, their NBC contract and ESPN’s obsession with them have kept them in the conversation.
Green Bay Packers – Lombardi put the Pack on the map and then they laid dormant for years until Brett Favre help resurrect the franchise. Now there is no mistaking the Packer “G” with the Georgia Bulldogs, the Grambling Tigers, or anyone else.
St. Louis Cardinals – They are number two behind the Yankees all-time in World Series titles, but have slipped behind the Cubs and Red Sox in terms of national appeal. A recent World Series title and Big Mac’s home run chase got them in the conversation, but overall they’ve been missing something since the mid-80s.

7 Comments:

At 3:38 PM, April 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm actually not going to suggest that the Red Sox ought to be in the top 5. Fence at best.

I agree with the top 3, although in my own list, the Pats beat the Cowboys, just because it's now and not ten years ago.

I don't agree with Michigan, and the Red Wings would make the fence for me (although I'll agree that they're the most recognizable hockey logo, except maybe for the Mighty Ducks after all of those movies). I think you're right about Cubs and Celtics being on the fence, but I'd take those over your #4 and #5.

College sports:
It's not just that I don't like Michigan - it's that of all the college football logos, theirs is not the very first one that I (or a lot of people, especially those who aren't from the Midwest) would pick out of a lineup and say "That's ___ team." Ahead of Michigan by a longshot
are (in no particular order):
Notre Dame - show someone that Irish dude without a team name and they'll know it's ND, regardless of how their team performance has been lately. Do any other teams even come close to having a leprechaun?
USC - I'm trying to avoid using your logic about team records, but they kinda own the Rose Bowl.
Tennessee - yeah, it's a big T, but you have the Yankees logo in there, so I think this counts. Maybe it's on the fence because some idiot might think it's for Texas, but a sports fan wouldn't make that mistake.
College teams that make the fence for me: Duke - my vote for this one is very personally-biased, but I like to think I'm not the only one who feels this way. I wasn't a college basketball fan until a couple of years ago, and if you asked me to fill out a bracket in the 90's, I would have picked blindly. That said, I knew what the blue devil was even back then. Texas - where else are Longhorns from? Florida - obviously, I know what a gator means, but I think the only possibly confusion a casual sports fan could make is which Florida team it is (ha ha ha).

Professional teams I think deserve a slot:
The Indians - you left your Tribe out of this?! This is one I'd be more than willing to give you. Chief Wahoo is unmistakably Cleveland. It's not the Indian head, it's Wahoo's big, cartoony Indian head - sports fans know it, and anyone who's ever seen Major League knows it. You could throw that logo in with a collection of logos from different sports, and I feel like it'd be easy to pick out. I'm not just saying this because I'm in GLS, either.
The Patriots - win percentage aside (because this is about recognizability, right?) the Pats logo is unmistakable. I tried for about 5 minutes to think of what that could possibly be confused with, and the only thing I could even come up with was UMass, but their Minuteman only vaguely resembles it. Plus, all the "are the Pats cheating" news coverage helps them out in terms of recognizability.
The Steelers - I feel okay including this because you put Michigan on the list, and the hatred is about even. If we're going with helmet-logos, the Steelers logo is so much more identifiable than Michigan's. Yes, the winged helmet is unique, but the Steelmark trumps it in terms of recognizability.
The Mighty Ducks - I mentioned this above, but oh well. Yes, the movies were about a totally different team called the Mighty Ducks, but I feel like that strengthens the logo's identifiability. Sure, casual sports fans might be hard pressed to tell you where the Mighty Ducks are from, but it's definitely one of the easier NHL logos.

My on-the-fence pro teams: Atlanta Falcons - maybe not for a good reason, but I guarantee lots of Americans know what their logo looks like in the wake of Michael Vick. Phoenix Suns - the Bulls might have had Jordan, but the Suns have an impressive big-name alumni list from the past 2 decades alone - Barkley, Nash, Kidd, now Shaq. I think they deserve in on the conversation.


I'm sure this list is seriously incomplete, but these are the logos that came to mind immediately. I'm omitting Canadian teams, but I think the Leafs would get a mention if they were real Americans.

My own top 5? With the above mentions being on the fence, the list goes:


1. Bulls
2. Yankees
3. Patriots
4. Indians
5. Notre Dame


I'm willing to be convinced with better evidence. Shall we try this on the street?

 
At 4:06 PM, April 18, 2008, Blogger Cap said...

My Dear, I think you may be missing the point of this Top 5. Even the most casual of sports fan is going to recognize all of these teams, and all of the ones you listed. The people I'm referring to are the same people who you poll on the street and don't know who the President of the United States is. The idiot girls on the Rock of Love, the immigrant who doesn't speak English well and has no idea what American football is, the chicks in the Miss America pageant...

I highly doubt THOSE people would know the Tennessee "T" from the Texas "T," let alone even know that it was a college logo to begin with. For that very reason, I think you are dead wrong on the Patriots. You see, it's not about mistaking it with another logo. It's about flat out not knowing what the hell they are looking at. The person that I'm referring to is the people who have no idea that the Patriots are cheating because they don't watch ESPN.

Of the teams you mentioned, I believe the Steelers and the Mighty Ducks are the two that would BY FAR rank the highest, but I don't think either of them can touch the teams I've already mentioned.

Taking it to the streets would be an exhausting process. I'm not sure I have the time or the patience for such a thing.

 
At 4:08 PM, April 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fair enough re: the Texas T and some of the other fence-riders.

However: by that logic, how on Earth does Michigan make the top 5?

 
At 4:26 PM, April 18, 2008, Blogger Cap said...

To be perfectly honest, they might not be in the Top 5. The winged helmet is not, in fact, their logo....the block "M" is. As much as I hate them, their helmet is unmistakable and I felt that was enough to put them in. My list. My rules. :)

 
At 4:30 PM, April 18, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Their helmet vs. Steelers? Or Bengals, or Packers, or Rams for that matter?

It IS your list, though. If it was my list, the topic this week would be "top 5 reasons to go to an Indians game" and all 5 would be Grady Sizemore.

 
At 8:47 AM, April 19, 2008, Blogger Greg said...

By far the most recognizable logo in all of sports is the Dallas Cowboys star. Everyone either loves or hates the Cowboys, but no one is neutral. Even folks in Mexico, Japan, and all over Europe know the Cowboys. The Patriots are just another team that comes and goes in popularity...but the Cowboys are popular in good timea and bad decade after decade.

The Bulls being the most recognizable is laughable, I'm sorry to say. The fact that you are from Chicago explains your putting it number 1 though. :)

 
At 11:36 PM, April 19, 2008, Blogger Cap said...

Greg - I'm not actually FROM Chicago...I've lived here for 6 years. Also, no way the average person in Europe knows the Cowboys star. If you've been to Europe, you'd know that most of them don't know what the hell American Football is. Basketball however, like soccer, is a global game. Go to Europe. Go to China. Go to Argentina. Go to Africa. They all know the Bulls.

Either way, this post was just about my opinion from being around the country, my friend.

And for the record, I don't hate the Cowboys and I certainly don't love them. They no longer are THAT polarizing of a force around the country like the Yankees are...like Notre Dame is. Sorry to say, nobody in the midwest pays much attention to Dallas, and outside of Washington, Philly and New York, they don't on the East Coast either. The midwest is driven by the Bears-Packers rivalry Big Ten football.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home