Monday, January 09, 2006

Time to put the women and children to bed and go looking for dinner

It's official. I've decided to do the Lake Geneva Triathlon this year. It will be September 9, 2006 in beautiful Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. The roommate and the nurse have a little bet going on for an Olympic length tri, but all bets aside, I just want to beat everyone I know in the damn thing.

Here's the thing. I've never competed in an endurance event in my life. Yes, I am a soccer player and you would think I would be good at endurance sports. You would be wrong. In the words of Yogi Berra, "it's 90% mental. The other half is physical."

Not that I don't have the physical ability to be an endurance athlete. My coaches always said that physically I was built for the 800 and the mile. I have just never had the mental ability to focus and pace myself. The longest race of my life was 800 meters, half a mile. I only did that probably 10 times too, and it was hell. The 400 was my bread and butter...a long all-out sprint.

The swim is what worries me, but I won't start training for that for another couple of months so I have time to get back to the level of fitness I'm going to need first. Plus I want to get my weight back down. I dropped 20 pounds this past summer riding the bike and playing soccer, but I've put 10 back on. I'd like to get down around 150 or just under by August so that I'm not carrying that extra 10-15 pounds on the bike and the run. I'll need the extra energy because I'll surely be behind after the swim.

So tonight, it's back on the trainer. The goal for today is to keep the cadence up around 80-90 rpms and the mph above 19 for 40 minutes or so and then finish out the 25 miles however I can. I figure I'm going to need to crank around 20 mph+ for 75 minutes or so and there is no telling what the hills will be like since none of us have ever done this tri.

5 Comments:

At 2:01 PM, January 09, 2006, Blogger Hutch said...

Cap, I might be enticed to wager with you on this tri. Cap or Hutch? What do people think? I'd take you in the run, you'd have the bike. It could all be the swim....

And btw, if you do 20 mph+, you'd be close to placing in an age group. It's all about pacing. If you averaged 18 mph the whole time, you'd have a great time. I did 17.0 mph during a sprint tri and ended with a quite respectable 1:45:47. TK averaged 17.5 mph with a much quicker swim for a 1:35:07. You have to have enough left for the run!

 
At 2:16 PM, January 09, 2006, Blogger DixieBelle8681 said...

Congratulations, I know you'll do well.

 
At 3:04 PM, January 09, 2006, Blogger Cap said...

Hutch-
I was at the point this past fall where I was doing 50+ miles at 16 on the bike that was a walk in the park. Despite bonking at mile 60 of my only century ride I still came in at 15.1 and miles 20-50 were into a headwind by myself. Granted, that was with no hills, but there was beach traffic and the first ride of my life was that day in late August up at Bally's lakehouse. I think I'm going to shoot for 20 because I'm really worried about the swim. The one thing that worries me on the run is if my knees will hold up on the pavement for 6.2 miles. My ACL could go at any minute with that pounding. I would be down for a wager of some sort...

 
At 12:36 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger amberance said...

Who's helping you train for the swim? Because your sister, though she never swam competitively, was a swimming instructor and knows how to streamline strokes. Not like the way we learned when mom made us take all those swimming lessons with Brad and Stacey.

 
At 12:43 PM, January 10, 2006, Blogger Cap said...

right now, I've got nothing for the swim and that's the part I'm worried the most about. Any help would be appreciated...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home